Sunday, September 5, 2010

What you will not find in the US

I have 4 days left in Bolivia before I return to the United States. While I have gotten accustomed to a lot of things here, I am writing this blog to remind myself of what I won´t see when I return:

· A ten year old kid waiting on me at a restaurant: This has happened a half a dozen times by now—I tell the kid what I want and then he runs back to the kitchen to tell his parents who are cooking. The even weirder part is giving him money.

· Almost no airport security on a domestic flight: I splurged a couple of days ago and chose a 45 minute flight over a 16 hour bus ride. When I went to board the plane, I did not walk through any metal detectors or security. A security person looked through one of the two pockets in my bag, and no one checked what was in my pants or coat pockets.

· A fifty year old woman shoveling a pile of rocks wearing a long skirt and dress shoes: I have no idea why she was shoveling these rocks into a wheel barrel, but this would have been backbreaking labor for a fit twenty year old guy.

· No change, period: I tried to buy 3 mandarins the other day at a market, which cost about 15 cents. All I had was a 75 cent piece (5 bolivianos), and no one would sell me mandarins because they did not have enough change. After being rejected from five different ladies, I gave up.

· A 13,000 foot mountain bike descent in a single day: I rode from 15,500 feet, and below freezing, to 2,500 feet and 80 degree weather, where we spent the latter half of the day enjoying the warm weather by the pool.

· A seven dollar filet mignon wrapped in bacon

No comments:

Post a Comment