Tuesday, July 27, 2010

While my family is well off, cashflow is a constant problem

I have been learning a lot more about my family as my Spanish has been improving and I have been living with them longer. Below are a couple fast facts to help understand their lives:
  • University is free, but Jason had to wait three years until his family had enough money to send him. It is a $1.50 bus ride each way, five days a week, and he has to pay for computer use and food while he is there.
  • Clara celebrated her 18th birthday a couple of days ago. She is the one that is five months pregnant and is with Jason, mi hermano. I made the mistake a week ago of asking when they got married.
  • Clara went to the doctor because she was having problems with her stomach. She had to spend 15 dollars on medicine (I think it was a whole bunch of vitamins), and the financial tension at the table was so great that I left the table.
  • A couple weeks ago Belhika asked me to borrow $20. I explained that while I wanted to help, I did not want to start that kind of a relationship with her.
I don't want to dwell on the negatives, so to end on some positive notes:
  • Mi abuelo is Belhika's father. He is 90 years old and is still enjoying life. I see him wandering around town, walking on the beach, and watching the surfers.
  • The family is meeting a lot of foreigners and learning about their culture through these homestays.
  • A pastor from Brazil came to the local church last night. My entire family went, sat through the three hour sermon, and all said that they had learned a lot.
  • Pedro enjoys his work. Belhika is always joking around with everyone. And she wears the pants in the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment